The countdown to the first full meeting of the Interstate Commission for EMS Personnel Practice is on with 9 days left until the group officially convenes October 7, 2017, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. It is not lost upon the REPLICA states what it took to get here and the support we had along the way. As each phase of the planning was completed, as the bills were filed, testimony read, emails written, sent and answered as well as votes counted, we had the support and guidance from our national partners and friends. This distinguished list includes:
- American Ambulance Association
- International Association of Fire Chiefs
- National Association of EMS Educators
- National Association of EMS Physicians
- National Association of State EMS Officials
- National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians
- National Association of EMS Managers
- National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians
- National Volunteer Fire Council
- Association of Air Medical Services
- Council of State Governments
- The Association of Critical Care Transport
REPLICA state Commissioners will officially take their seats and begin the task at hand, setting up the governing body and implementing the Compact. In order for the Compact to become operational a number of steps need to take place. One of the most important components of REPLICA’s implementation is establishing the way that member states will share information through the coordinated national personnel database. This is a first for our profession. These discussions will be conducted in public (in-person and/or virtual) by REPLICA state Commissioners. I encourage you all to follow along, comment and participate. The most up-to-date activities can be found at www.emsreplica.org.
As the days move on, and the Compact moves forward, the gratitude felt for our national partners and friends who championed REPLICA will further deepen and continue to inspire the work to come.